Size: 200 acres minimum, more preferable.
Terrain: Combination of hilly to mountain, primarily uncut mixed forest (or uncut for minimum 10 years) with some cleared, flatter areas suitable for grazing, crops, or building sites.
Zoning: Must be free of excessive zoning requirements: Mixed use permitted including multiple dwellings, animals, reasonable outdoor activities.
Features: Must include annual flowing streams. Desirable: springs, ponds, natural lakes, river frontage.
Roads: Paved access to property desirable, but nearby high-speed, highly trafficked road not desirable.
Climate: Mild winters, temperate summers, suitable annual rainfall.
- On-site source of gravel
- Stone quarry
- Adjacent to state or federal forest land
- No easements for utilities, existing or planned
- Proximate to hospitals, shopping, and services (minimum distance 10 miles)
- Existing buildings on property: not necessary but will be taken into consideration
- Access to public utilities not necessary
- Property access must be unimpeded and not dependent on easements from other property owners